If you have been contacted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about a possible tax controversy, our tax attorneys can help. We routinely represent clients in federal tax matters, and we can work with the IRS to clear up any confusion and minimize your tax liability.
Tax Controversy Lawyers in Sugar Land, Houston and the Surrounding Areas for Tax Issues Involving the IRS
Whether you omitted to file a federal tax return (or several), are facing a large tax bill you cannot afford to pay, or disagree with the IRS’s determination of your federal tax liability, dealing with the IRS can be a challenging experience. Even clearing up relatively simple issues can require an extraordinary amount of time and frustration, and avoiding improper taxes and penalties can often mean taking your dispute to court. At Romano & Sumner, our tax controversy lawyers are intimately familiar with the laws, rules, and procedures involved in federal tax controversies. From negotiating installment plans to protecting clients’ financial interests in tax court, we have over 20 years’ experience helping clients secure favorable outcomes in tax-related matters. We know the law, and we know what it means for you to be facing an unmanageable tax obligation. Call your tax controversy attorneys today so that we can help you put an end to your tax dispute.
Experienced Representation for Tax Controversies in the Sugar Land and Houston Areas
Our tax controversy attorneys represent individual and corporate taxpayers in federal tax matters including:
- Negotiation of Installment Plans – If you owe more tax than you can currently afford to pay, our attorneys can negotiate with the IRS to help you avoid wage garnishment and pay down your tax debt with manageable monthly payments.
- Offers in Compromise – An offer in compromise allows you to settle your tax debt for less than you currently owe. If your financial condition is such that you qualify for an offer in compromise, our attorneys can negotiate a one-time payment or short-term installment plan for a fraction of your outstanding tax liability.
- Penalty Abatements – If you are facing IRS penalties for any reason (including failure to file income tax returns or failure to pay income tax), our attorneys can work with the IRS to have these penalties abated.
- Federal Tax Appeals – If you have received an unfavorable determination from the IRS, our attorneys can take your case to the federal tax court. IRS agents make mistakes, and it is not unusual for taxes and penalties to be overturned on appeal.
Dealing with the IRS: Tax Controversy FAQs
Q: Do I need an attorney if I am being audited or have received a letter from the IRS?
While individual taxpayers are not required to seek legal representation in IRS matters, there are several benefits to hiring an experienced attorney. For example:
- An experienced tax controversy attorney will know how to communicate effectively with IRS agents.
- Your tax attorney will be able to advise you as to whether you are eligible for an offer in compromise or penalty abatement.
- Your tax controversy attorney will be able to prepare your case for the tax court if a favorable outcome appears unlikely.
If you have been contacted by the IRS, we encourage you to schedule a confidential consultation. Our tax attorneys will be happy to help you understand your situation and develop a strategy for moving forward.
Q: How do I know if I am eligible for an offer in compromise?
Determining whether you are eligible for an offer in compromise is complicated. The IRS provides an Offer In Compromise Pre-Qualifier tool on its website. But, as noted by the IRS, even if the Pre-Qualifier “show[s] you can fully pay your liability, you may still file an offer in compromise and discuss your individual financial situation with the IRS.”
Q: How long do I have to file an appeal if my offer in compromise has been denied?
If the IRS denies your offer in compromise, you have 30 days from the date of your denial letter (not the date you receive the letter) to file your appeal in the tax court.
Expertise Born from Experience | Romano & Sumner
Romano & Sumner is a team of experienced attorneys and legal professionals who are passionate about helping clients preserve their wealth and protect their legal rights. If you are facing a federal tax controversy, we want to help you. We offer:
- Decades of experience in federal tax matters
- Individual consideration and personalized legal representation
- Prompt responses to all calls and emails
- Straightforward legal advice in language you can understand
- Aggressive pursuit of a fair outcome as quickly as possible
For more information about the options you have available, please get in touch. Call (281) 242-0995 or contact us online to speak with a tax controversy lawyer about your IRS issues today.
Romano & Sumner, LLC is proud to serve these Texas areas
Cities / Suburbs:
The Woodlands | Sugar Land | Baytown | Conroe | Katy | Friendswood | Pearland | League City | Richmond | Rosenberg | Spring | Humble | Kingwood | Clear Lake City | Stafford | Jersey Village | Cypress | Missouri City
77478 | 77479 | 77487 | 77496 | 77498 | 77459 | 77489
Harris County, Fort Bend County, and surrounding counties